Search the devotional

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Elyon (most high)

Elyon (Biblical Hebrew עליון'; Masoretic ʿElyōn; traditionally rendered in Samaritan as illiyyon) is an epithet of the God of Israel in the Hebrew Bible. ʾ
The name ʿElyōn 'Most High' standing alone is found in many poetic passages, especially in the Psalms. 

  For you have said in your heart:  I will ascend into heaven,  I will exalt my throne above the stars of God;
  I will also sit on the mount of the congregation  On the farthest sides of the north;  I will ascend above the heights of the clouds,  I will be like the Most High.(Elyon)  (Isaiah 14:13–14)

’Elyōn is in other places firmly identified with God, as in 2 Samuel.
God thundered from heaven,
and the Most High (Elyon) uttered his voice. (2 Samuel 22:14)
Also:in Psalms in the Hebrew bible we  again the name of the Most High
For you, God, are Most High (ʿelyōn) over all the earth;
you are raised high over all the gods. (Psalms 97:9)

Please keep in mind I'm not trying to change you thought process on how you identify our Heavenly Father, but simply to understand what the names meant. When the Hebrews uttered Elyon it simply meant the Most High. This simple one more attribute of our Heavenly Father, as his child I want to know all I can about my Father as He is proud of me I'm also very proud of who my Heavenly Father and what he has and is still doing for his children.
     

No comments:

Readers of the devotionals

Devotional Archives