Search the devotional

Monday, September 13, 2010

Adonai (master)

Hebrew word for "Lord"  he introduces himself to Moses in Exodus as Adonai in the Torah.  Did you know that  Adonai,  is used 439 times in the Hebrew Bible? In the Tetragrammaton YHWH appears approximately 6000 times in the Hebrew Scriptures. To avoid violating the commandment "You shall not take the name of Yahweh your God in vain" (Exodus 20:7), sometimes Adonai was used as a substitute for Yahweh (YHWH) or the vowels "a-o-a" were inserted between the letters "YHWH" to remind people to not pronounce the name "Yahweh"
  Christian Bible translators have misinterpreted this to mean that God's name is Jehovah, which is the result of combining the vowels of 'Adonai' with the consonants YHWH (written using Latin orthography in which "J" and "V" are pronounced as the English "Y" and "W").  Adonai (Lord) means "master", "owner", or "sovereign ruler" and generally denotes the authority and position of God. Adonai is first used in (Genesis 15:2) where Abram asked, "Lord Yahweh [Adonai], what will You give me, seeing I go childless...?" The word Adonai, in reference to God, occurs 300 times in the Hebrew text especially in Isaiah, Ezekiel (200 times), and Daniel (10 times in the 9th chapter). It is usually written "Lord" in most English Bibles, "Jehovah" in the American Standard Version (ASV) of the Bible, and "Yahweh" or "Lord" in the online World English Bible.

Primarily, the name Adonai stresses man's relationship to God as his Master, Authority, and Provider. Some examples of where the name "Adonai" is used...

  Yahweh [Adonai] appeared to him (Abraham) by the oaks of Mamre, as he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day. (Genesis 18:1)
 He said, "No; but as prince of the host of Yahweh [Adonai] am I now come." Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship..." (Joshua 5:14)
Hannah answered, "No, my lord, I am a woman of a sorrowful spirit: I have drunk neither wine nor strong drink, but I poured out my soul before Yahweh [Adonai]." (1 Samuel 1:15)
Sing to God, you kingdoms of the earth! Sing praises to the Lord [Adonai]! Selah.(Psalm 68:32)  
In the year that king Uzziah died, I saw the Lord [Adonai] sitting on a throne, high and lifted up; and His train filled the temple . . . One called to another, and said, "Holy, holy, holy, is Yahweh of Hosts! The whole earth is full of His glory!" The foundations of the thresholds shook at the voice of Him who called, and the house was filled with smoke.(Isaiah 6:1-4)See also (Exodus 4:10); (Judges 6:15); (2 Samuel 7:18-20); (Psalm 8, 114:7),  (Psalms 135:5),  (Psalms141:8), (Psalms109:21-28)

And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you. (Exodus 3:14)  I have in my library a copy of the Torah, and the Nevi'im and the Kethuvim and the Jewish bible, from these document was birth what we today call the Old Testament via Greek and Latin and many English translation.  For me to understand a thing, one must first go to the root or the beginning.  As I desire for my children to know me, I know my Heavenly Father desire for his children to know him. Adonai is one of the many aspect of our Father. Should each of not endeavor to know our Father better to love what he loves and hate what He hates.

No comments:

Readers of the devotionals

Devotional Archives