Search the devotional

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Elohim (God, or authority)

Elohim is the commonly used name of God in the Hebrew Bible (Hebrew: אלהים).       

The Name Elohim occurs 2,570 times in the Tanakh in such books as Isaiah 54:5; Jeremiah 32:27; Genesis. 1:1; Isaiah 45:18; Deuteronomy. 5:23. The word Elohim is the first name for God given in the Tanakh: “In the beginning, God (Elohim) created the heavens and the earth” (Genesis 1:1). Did you know that Elohim name is mentioned 2,600 times in the Hebrew bible

In the traditional Jewish view, Elohim is the Name of God as the Creator and Judge of the universeHebrew grammar allows for this form to mean "He is the Power (singular) over powers (plural)". Eloah, Elohim, means "He who is the object of fear or reverence", or "He with whom one who is afraid takes refuge". Another theory is that it is derived from the Semitic root "uhl" meaning "to be strong". Elohim then would mean "the all-powerful One", based on the usage of the word "el" in certain verses to denote power or might.

 “The Holy One, Blessed be He, said to those, You want to know my name? I am called according to my actions. When I judge the creatures I am Elohim, and when I have mercy with My world, I am named YHVH


 I simply address him as Father, sometimes I address him as Dad, for I'm a living breathing testament of his love and mercy, for without him I would not be here now.  Thank you Lord for loving us even when we did not love you.  That is a mark of a true Father.

No comments:

Readers of the devotionals

Devotional Archives