Search the devotional

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The love one for another (The Marriage)


We live in a society today that has little regard for the honor and sanctity of marriage as God designed it. Gods word was and is very clear about marriage. We can see it in the below scriptures.


Matthew 19:

6 So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.”

Ephesians 5:

22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. 24 Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.
25 Husbands,
love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, 26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, 27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. 28 So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church. 





Marriage is like  "...A cord of three strands is not quickly broken" Ecclesiastes 4:12 


The following is taken from a husband and wife's prayer to God.








A Husband’s Prayer…..Dear Lord,
You have blessed me and my family in so many ways. I give you thanks, and I pray that I will express my gratitude in ways that glorify you. Help me to see my spouse, more and more, as a gift from You. Allow me to put her needs ahead of my own. I want to live in a Christ-like way. Guide me, O Lord, to be a servant in my wife’s spiritual growth and development. Help me to provide the space and the quiet that she needs that will help her to be nurtured in You. Give me the words to help her focus her priorities. Walk with us both as we seek to find Your presence in our lives. Protect us both as we make our life-long journey home to You. Amen.
A Wife’s Prayer….Dear Lord,
I am so grateful to You that You are the best shaping agent in my husband’s life. I love having the front row seat in watching him live his faith. Forgive me and help me to release him into Your hands in those moments when I want to be the primary shaping and influencing force for him, when I forget that Your way is better than mine, when I live as if I don’t believe that You are in charge, when I doubt his faith and Your ability.
Lord, let me also be sensitive to inspirations from You that You might intend me to share with him. Give me wisdom to discern what is Your way and what is my selfish own. I am fulfilled in the deepest ways that I am able to be a help to him in small and in big ways. I pray that he may be aware of Your presence in this day. I ask that his faith in You might increase in his present trials.
…………….Braid us together with You…….Amen.
Is Christ that third strand in your marriage? Does your marriage glorify him? Are you both dyeing to your flesh and living for Christ?
(Gen 2:18) The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him."  Sisters are you that helpmate to your husband?   If your brave ask him that question and be truly ready to hear what he says.

Marriage Takes Three



I once thought marriage took

Just Two to make a go,
But now I am convinced
It takes the Lord also.

And not one marriage fails
Where Christ is asked to enter
As lovers come together
With Jesus at the center.

But marriage seldom thrives,
And homes are incomplete,
till He is welcomed there
To help avoid defeat.

In homes where Christ is first
It's obvious to see,
Those unions really work,
For marriage still takes three.

author: Perry Tanksley 1984

Did you know this?   Divorce rates among conservative Christians were significantly higher than for other faith groups, and much higher than Atheists and Agnostics experience.(http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_dira.htm)

Husband love your wives as Christ loved the Church.  The slogan: "The family that prays together, stays together"  That is how you keep that 3 strands tight, now wives it also equally important that you love your husbands as God showed love to us, also wives show love to your husbands.  Many among you may have spouse's who have not come to Christ yet. Through you showing the love of Christ to them daily the Word of God tells me that you could be the leading force in aiding them to come to know Christ as their personal savior.

Lord it is my prayer that marriages would become the bond between a husband and wife, that you create marriage to be. I pray that each of us would be ready and willing to put the needs of our spouse first.  If you are single and pondering  marriage make sure your ready to die to your flesh and put self last and your mate first in all area's of life.  Bottom line if the husband focus on the wife and the wife on her husbands needs , they will for fill the will of the Lord for their marriage. Instead we tend to want to meet the needs of our flesh, with little to no consideration for our mate.  That is not love one for another, but in fact it is simply selfishness at its best.








No comments:

Readers of the devotionals

Devotional Archives