Search the devotional

Saturday, October 13, 2012

What profits a man


This week Greg Laurie shared a story that made  ponder it for a while myself. He tells this the following story "An older man was speaking to a young law student about his future plans and asked what he wanted to do once he graduated. The young man said, "Well, I would like to get a job with a good firm, and I would like to start making some money." The older man said, "All right. Sounds good. Then what?" "Well, then I would like to get married," he said. "I would like to have some children, put my kids in good schools, and have enough money to eventually get a second home." "Okay. Then what?" "Well, then after I have worked for a while, maybe I could come to a point where I could retire. Hopefully my health will be good, and my wife and I could travel around the world."  "All right. Then what?" "Well, I guess just pass my money on to my children, hoping they will have as comfortable of a life as I had." "Then what?"  "Well," the young man said, "I guess I will die." And the older man said, "Yes. Then what?" Then what? Then is eternity. What came to my mind after reading the story was the scripture from the gospel of Mark where we are reminded that all the wealth, honour, and pleasure, in this,  world that many are willing to loose their soul for what ????  The gain of all the world in sin, is not sufficient to countervail the ruin of the soul by sin.

 "For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul "  (Mark 8:36)?

No comments:

Readers of the devotionals

Devotional Archives