Search the devotional

Friday, November 5, 2010

Agape

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. (1 Corinthians 13:1-8)


Agape is not sentimentality. It is defined as the husband’s love for his wife’s soul. Like Christ who loved, and therefore gave, a Christian husband should be selfless in his attitudes and actions  "Love never fails”,In other words, love is not going to be superseded by something better. It must remain as a permanent commitment.  herefore, the husband should always be slow to become resentful. He must react good when ill-treated. He should never envy her. He ought to realize his inability to give enough and not report on how much he has given — always. He does not “file faults” or “fly off the handle,” because agape is not overwhelmed. My brothers do remember you are called to love your wives by our Heavenly Father and direct command from him to each of us. Let us not be disobedient to the Father.  This love can be learned, and couples can conform to God’s will and Christ’s pattern. A husband can agape his wife even when he is not loved in return. It is not a proper consideration to ask, “Does she really deserve it?” We did not earn Christ’s love. He loved us first.

No comments:

Readers of the devotionals

Devotional Archives