Search the devotional

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Love Your Enemies

Friday my son Yordon walked into the house looking tired and complaining about his foot hurting, as a parent I have learned to read my children's faces and their body language. I stopped my counseling session with a client and asked my son to come forward. I informed him that he hadn't told me everything. Yordon took a deep breath and said it was nothing. I ask Yordon to tell me what was the nothing. Yordon said on his way from home another schoolmate  called him Nigga, my heart fell my client was speechless. I asked my son what did he do when this kid said it to him. He said he smiled and walked on, I asked Yordon why, he said you told us Dad years ago that a Nigga had nothing to do with pigmentation but is a person who has no self respect or dignity for self or others. I smiled and said  yes I did. He said he already forgave the kid because knew this kid was ignorant didn't understand what he was saying.


43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor[a] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you (Matthew 5:43-44).  Love your neighbor the word does not say love them only when they say things that I can bare, love them only if they are kind to me first. No when people do harm to you,  say harmful things against you, give it God for is able to bear it. Please remember that our Savior was spit upon punched and hated and murdered, he told us that the world would hate us too. We are told that if we are to be worthy of the death we must take up our crosses and follow Jesus. Love your enemies, for we remember we were once an enemy of Christ.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Surely in this time and era that word should not be used. Good job in teaching your son its meaning and for him to be able to forgive the person that said this harsh word to him. I'm not black but a Christian and know that in God's eyes he looks only at the heart of us.

Readers of the devotionals

Devotional Archives