Search the devotional

Sunday, July 14, 2013

To be or not to be content

When I was "volentold" to write the Sunday devotional, I wasn't particularly happy because I'm not one to write for public consumption. So I prayed and pondered upon what I should write and I also consulted with my dear husband who has the gift of words both written and spoken.  Then I was reminded about a book that my dear  sister Kathy and I are reading "The Resolution for Women".

The following isn't just for women because it can be applied to the male persuation also. So with that the question becomes "are you content or are you looking towards the next thing coming? That new this or better that or change because you're not happy? The bible tells us "Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment." 1Timothy 6:6. In the book I'm reading it speaks about how we are always looking to the next something. The next career move, the better car, getting married, having children, getting the children out of the house, but we don't seem to take the time to enjoy that college graduation, the engagement, the marriage, the little things in life really. "Not that I am speaking of being in need . For I have learned that in whatever situation I am content." Phil. 4:11. " Keep your life free from love of money and be content with what you have, for he has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." Hebrews 13:5. The word of the Lord is clear, yet we fail to listen because even in the study of the word, we're looking to what's coming next not taking the time to really listen and take in the Word, not allowing it to reveal itself to us we just don't seem to have the time. We don't want to slow down and be content with what the Lord has to say in His Word nor what He wants to show us through our daily lives. We seem to think that we can do it all ourselves even though we can't se where God is trying to lead us.
As a woman trying to be a Godly wife, mother and individual, I can truly say I fall short daily, but I do try daily to remind myself that my God is in control, He knows the why of all that is going on in my life and though I can't trust anyone else I can trust Him to make me the Godly wife I need to be for my husband. A Humble wife who holds her husband only second to the Lord without trying to be an overbearing nagging wife that feels she needs to control everything because the husband can't be trusted to execute the role God created him to have in his household. So I trust God and endeavor to be content in my life situation to learn from it and grow my faith within it. To enjoy the happy moments, and have faith and look to God in those times of trouble.
So what are you going to do, take the time and be content where you are, seeking the Lord for guidance or are you going to do what most do, take the situation on by your own strength and carry the burden God never intended you to carry?




No comments:

Readers of the devotionals